Barton Village Hall Logo
Barton Village Hall Logo

Barton in Fabis is a rural village, 6 miles from Nottingham and close to the summit of Mill Hill, which was once the site of an old windmill. There are some 20 Bartons in England, in 1331 the village was called Barton on Trent, but this was changed to Barton in the Beans, to avoid confusion with Burton on Trent and the village was also noted for its bean crops.

Barton residents cannot within living memory remember a pub in the Village, but in 1676 it had two taverns serving only 86 inhabitants old enough to drink!

In Victorian times the village became known for its tea houses. During the summer many people visited Barton, this was no doubt due to the popularity of the Barton Ferry which went across the River to Attenborough and back, bringing people to the Village to sit on the River Bank and enjoy a cup of tea. In later years the Ferry continued but the tea houses closed and eventually the Ferry finished in the early 1960s.

There is no shop in Barton today, but from the 1860s to the 1960s shopping facilities were available. There were at differing times a Post Office, sweet shop, general store, butchers and bakers.